Just because there is a football game on TV doesn’t mean we should throw our bodies + nutrition into a tailspin. We CAN indulge + have fun + stay on track! Here are 3 game time classics with a healthy twist that your guests will appreciate alongside their light beers! 😉
4 corn tortillas, cut into wedges
2 tsp. olive oil
½ medium lime
1 dash chili powder
Sea salt (to taste, optional)
½ cup cooked pinto beans, warm
4 oz cheddar (or jack) cheese, shredded
2 medium tomatoes chopped
½ medium onion, finely chopped
½ medium green bell pepper, chopped
½ medium jalapeno, seeds and veins discarded, finely chopped
¼ medium avocado, chopped
4 fresh cilantro sprigs, chopped
2 Tbsp. nonfat plain Greek yogurt
1. Heat oven to 375° F.
2. Brush both sides of tortillas with oil. Arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, or until crisp.
3. Squeeze lime over chips. Sprinkle with chili powder and salt (if desired).
4. Arrange half of the tortilla chips in a medium baking dish. Layer with half the beans and cheese. Repeat.
5. Bake chip mixture for 3 to 4 minutes, or until cheese melts.
6. Top with tomatoes, onion, bell pepper, jalapeno, avocado, cilantro, and yogurt.
21 DAY FIX: 1 Green + 1 Yellow + 1/2 Red + 1/2 Blue/Orange
Your team may not win this Sunday, but you hummus game will be on-point with this awesome + healthy twist!
– 1 (15 oz.) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), reserve liquid
– ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
– 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
– 2 cloves garlic
– ¼ cup tahini (sesame butter)
– Sea salt + ground black pepper (to taste; optional)
– 2 medium ripe avocados, cut into chunks
– 1 dash ground cumin
– 2 Tbsp. finely chopped cilantro (for garnish; optional)
– Tabasco (for spice; optional)
1. Place chickpeas, lemon juice, oil, and garlic in food processor (or blender) and pulse until chickpeas are mashed.
2. Add tahini; pulse for 1 minute. If hummus is too thick, add some of the reserved chickpea liquid. Season with salt and pepper if desired.
3. Add avocados and cumin; pulse until mixture is smooth and creamy.
4. Garnish with cilantro + few dashes of Tabasco if desired.
Makes about 16 servings: about 1/4 cup each
21 DAY FIX: 1/2 Yellow + 1/2 BLUE + 1 TSPN
BUFFALO CAULIFLOWER BITES
You know those buffalo wings you love so much in a restaurant? Yeah… each one has about 72 calories! This lighter, vegetarian version will have even the most ardent meat lovers craving more. Grab a plateful before everyone else eats them up.